Another year coming…
by Evans Yonson
Barcelona – Yesterday, I received my scholarship renewal documents. It came with the notice of renewal, the medical insurance card, and the quarterly bulletin report book. The notice is a very important document especially for police purposes. The medical insurance card comes in very handy because at the slightest chance of backache, just a flash of my card at the emergency room would send everyone jumping around. The report book is one document that reminds that I am here for a reason and a greater purpose. I have already known about my renewal in June but nothing beats the real McCoy. This renewal is good until September 2011. So what’s in store for The Light Traveller? Here are some possible events and travels in the next twelve months:
1. Treat myself to go to London for my birthday. Watch West End musicals like Les Miserables, Aspects of Love, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and Wicked. Visit some of the world’s greatest museums like The British Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
2. Watch Lea Salonga perform during the 25th anniversary concert of Les Mis in London. The last time I saw her was when she played Kim in the Miss Saigon Manila run almost a decade ago. I have always been a Lea Salonga fan.
3.Go home to Cagayan de Oro for my first solo photography exhibit in December. It’s a benefit exhibit. All photos on exhibition are for sale. Proceeds of this exhibit will go directly to the Gahum Scholarship Program for Indigenous High School Students of the Development Communication Society of Xavier University.
4. Join the Xaiver University High School grand alumni homecoming in December. I couldn’t believe that it’s been 25 years since I graduated from high school. I am so looking forward to attending this major event in my academic life.
5. Spend Christmas and New Year’s Eve with my family.
6. Go to Copenhagen again for my annual visit to my dear friend, Marie and her husband Henrik. See the Elephant Parade.
7.Visit Trixi Buecher in Vienna, Austria and spend more time with her. The long and meaningful walks and talks with her are always ones for the books.
8. Definitely visiting the following countries: Norway (for John and Alecx), Germany, Luxembourg, Finland, Switzerland, and Romania.
9. Planning to visit the following countries: Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Algeria, Tunisia. If things don’t push through then there’s another year to look forward to.
10. Planning to revisit the following countries: the UK (before my very expensive visa expires), the US (before my 10-year old visa expires), Morocco (Rabat, Casablanca and Fez), Italy (the southern part), Greece (the islands, probably), Denmark (Aarhus to see Joyce), and France (for Viangca!!!).
11. Establish contacts with possible dissertation research respondents in Canada, the US, France, the UK, Germany, Spain, Denmark and Australia. I already started with France and Australia. No worries about Spain. I’m waiting for some responses from Denmark, the UK, and the rest.
12.Continue writing for this blog. Another year in Europe means more travels. More travels mean more writings and so on. More series to cook up. This also means that I will be seeing more Spanish cities this year -Sevilla, Malaga, Menorca, Mallorca, Ibiza, Gijon, Huelva, and so on.
13. Strengthen my photo flash site: The Light Traveller’s Photographs. More travels mean more photographs and more light writings happening everywhere.
14. Start a meaningful and long lasting legacy in Barcelona. If I was able to do this in Letran and Xavier University in the Philippines, then why can’t I make it here in Spain?
15. Finish at least more than half of my dissertation research, which means that I will be doing lots of reading anywhere and everywhere, and reading lots of stuff from here to eternity.
16. Go to the scholarship office monthly and submit reports quarterly. The first part I hate because I have to wake up early and sign just a half sheet of paper showing that I am in Barcelona and waiting for the monthly allowance to come. Beggars can’t be choosers after all. The second part I prefer more because I have to be in my toes always and attend major activities in the university and other events outside.
17. Wait for another year to finish everything. This means that I will have another chance and probably the last chance for my scholarship. We were told recently that we can apply for another year extension, guaranteed. Well, we will see.